Tuesday, June 5, 2012

Four days worth

I've been a stay-at-home mom for exactly four days and it's been a smooth transition so far. Sure, I've had some Groundhog Day moments of didn't we just do this yesterday an hour ago? but for the most part, staying home has been a joy. Last week, I was there when Moo learned how to kiss--probably because we kiss those soft, chubby cheeks at least a thousand times a day. Now that boy will kiss any baby he sees--in person or in a book--and he kisses his reflection in the mirror. Sometimes he'll pucker up, but more often than not, he goes in for it with all the slobbery, open-mouth excitement he can. Come to think of it, he could probably teach my 9th graders a thing or two! I love being there for things like that--the cute kisses from Moo, not the awkward ones between two 9th graders. Anyway, here are a few things I've learned while staying at home (all four days of wisdom, you're welcome very much):
  • Children laughing: one of the best. sounds. ever.
  • Children's music is unbelievably memorable. I go to sleep every night singing some silly song I heard on my children's Pandora station. 
  • Speaking of music, I pretty much make up my own stupid songs all day about whatever we're doing. Probably just filling the silence that I'm not used to, but Moo thinks it's funny and if I stop long enough to hear myself, I think it's pretty funny too. 
  • Strangers are much nicer and neighbors actually come outside to talk when you have a kid. I'll take it.
  • Lifting an 18 lb., 10 oz. weight multiple times a day will make your back hurt, despite trying to lift with your legs. On the bright side, my arms are pretty toned. :)
  • Baby food is delicious. Not that I'm eating my child's baby food for lunch or anything, but the stray glob here and there from feeding him tastes pretty darn good. They make such interesting combinations (pumpkin banana, anyone?) that I can't help trying it!
  • Being a mom (stay at home or otherwise) is hard work. This is nothing new, but it bears repeating. In the words of my wise mother, parenting is not for the weak!
  • Time slows down between the hours of 4:00 and 7:00 p.m. It's an inexplicable time warp phenomenon. 
Deep thoughts to come. That's all for now.

3 comments:

Eating Cheetos said...

Just the other day, I made up a silly song while I was waiting for Aubrey to finish her "business" in the bathroom. After I ended the song, she looked at me and said, "Mom, please don't sing that one again. It was so random." WHAT?! The girl is not even 4 and is already critiquing my song lyrics. Savor these days when Moo coos at your melodies and gives you a big open-mouth slobber smooch at the end. You're living the Mama Rock Star life. :)

And yes, time literally stands still at the stroke of 4.

Christen Sloderbeck said...

I can't wait for a kiss from my sobrino! :)

Moo's Ginni said...

When my boys were little, many people (most often strangers) felt compelled to tell me to relax and enjoy this stage because time went by so quickly. I refrained from saying, "Yes, but it goes SO SLOWLY from 4-7 PM." Must be a universal observation! Gramma Ginni