Monday, June 25, 2012

New beginnings (Part 1)

So, I have a writer friend from graduate school named Bethany. She blogs. She teaches. She writes books. Oh yeah, she runs marathons too. But here's the thing about Bethany: she'd be the first to tell you that she's not superwoman. She doesn't have special powers the rest of us don't have access to. She just knows how to set goals and go after them (and has the wisdom to know it's okay to fail sometimes too). In fact, she recently wrote a FREE eBook about it called How to Run a Marathon, Write a Book, and Still Have a Life.  It's a quick read (think 30 minutes or less) full of wisdom, reality, inspiration, and a good kick in the pants.

In the book, she has six steps to finishing something (anything):
  1. Decide what you want
  2. Imagine yourself finishing it
  3. Quit one thing
  4. Make the DAILY choice
  5. Take a day off
  6. Have a plan for after the thing is finished
So. There's something I'd like to start (and finish).  It's something I've known about myself for a long time, but I needed Bethany's kick in the pants recently to get me going on it again. More to come...

Until then, go check out the eBook and go after that thing you keep saying you'll do tomorrow! 





2 comments:

Melissa said...

I'll be sure to check it out! I'm so curious as to what your goal may be!? Have we ever talked about it?

Can't wait to find out soon!

Bethany said...

Hey, Cara, thanks so much for the shoutout!

I can not WAIT to hear what you have up your sleeve!