Monday, June 18, 2012

Captain Observant

In the eight years I've known my husband and six and a half years we've been married, he's had what he calls a "flavor savor." On occasion, it's the "soul patch." Y'all know what I'm talking about. That little patch of hair underneath the bottom lip that says, "I'm cool; you know it." But that was never his attitude or purpose in having it. He just decided to shave it that way one day and I liked it, so he kept it. Fast forward eight years and it was still there.

We talked a while back about when might be the right time to shave it. I didn't want him being that 45-year-old youth minister type with frosty tips trying too hard to look young and hip. Phil said it was time to shave it when I told him it was time (good man). He didn't want to be that guy either. He also insists that making sure he doesn't look like a doofus in public is a my job. I accept.

So, a few weeks ago, I told him it was time--whenever he was ready. And then I went about my week.

A few nights later, we were going to bed and had been talking for a good 45 minutes. We'd had dinner together and had been in the same house all evening. Finally, he looked at me and said, "Do you notice anything different about me?" I didn't. He had to give me a hint before I realized that his face was completely smooth for the first time since I'd known him. I had to laugh at myself for not realizing it all evening.

Since then, we've spent time with friends and family and not one person has noticed without us pointing it out. Message received: it was time. But he's still cool in my book.
Before
After

Side note: how cute are these two? My two favorite men in the world!
Side, side note: more to come on the blog soon! Vacation, Father's Day, pictures, and my local weather guy. Have I piqued your interest yet?

3 comments:

Eating Cheetos said...

Lookin' good, Skuppie!

By the way, Daniel recently shaved his beard and it took him asking me if he looked different before I noticed. My excuse: "I can't seem to get past those gorgeous blue eyes of yours..." He didn't buy it. ;)

Rebecca said...

When I was growing up, my father was always changing his facial hair. I never knew if he'd have a full beard or just a mustache. So today, a man has to REALLY change his look for me to notice. And even then I often don't.

Christen Sloderbeck said...

Haha, nice observation skills! :)