Thursday, May 17, 2012

Three Things Thursday

One. I just got this tankini in the mail today from White House Black Market. Needed a new suit to accommodate my adjusted body, and this one is true to size, flattering (thank you, patterns, twists, and ruching), comfortable, and affordable. Comes with a cute black and white polka dot removable strap. Definitely a winner.

Two. Speaking of that adjusted body, check out these awkward pregnancy photos--NOT of me, thankfully. I like to keep it classy. But not everyone does. I need to stop being surprised by the weird things people do. Here's a preview:

Three. Speaking of awkward, my 9th graders have been acting out scenes from Romeo and Juliet as a culminating activity for our Shakespeare unit. One group chose to do one of the kissing scenes and go for a real stage kiss rather than fake it behind a fan or something. No lie, these words came out of their mouths at some point this week:

GIRL: "Mrs. Johnson, do you have any tips for how to make the kiss less awkward? I mean, I can't initiate." (Probably not, honey. You're in 9th grade. It's going to be awkward.)

ME TO GUY (after successfully performing their scene): "Hey! The kiss looked good! Very natural. It wasn't awkward at all."
GUY: "I don't want to have to do it again, though. She didn't kiss back." (Hm, so which is it? You don't initiate or she doesn't kiss back? The world will never know.)


My favorite part: At one point during rehearsals, I actually sent them to a room by themselves to practice kissing so they wouldn't be embarrassed practicing in front of their peers. That's right, I sent two teenagers to a room by themselves and told them to kiss. Hey--whatever works.

3 comments:

Rebecca said...

You sent them to a room to what?!? I can just imagine how that would go over with some folks.

There's a scene from the Family Fang, by Kevin Wilson, that he read at Meacham. It's about a Romeo and Juliet kiss, but they are brother and sister. Hilarious.

CWJ said...

Probably should include that the kissers weren't really into each other, so I didn't have to worry about things going too far. :)

Elizabeth said...

Great kissing story, Cara. Somehow, I don't think that would have flown at CCS though!