Saturday, May 5, 2012

Kitchen Challenge

I'm all about experiments, especially when they're temporary. So, my latest experiment is what I call "The Kitchen Challenge"--so creative, I know. Here's how it works: I just stocked up at the grocery store and my goal is to see how long I can make the food I have last without buying more. Exceptions: weekly, I'll buy milk, produce, bread, and other perishables as needed.  Other than that, I'll be cooking my way through the pantry, freezer, and fridge for the next...three weeks? maybe?  I'll have to get pretty creative toward the end.

What'll be tough about this challenge is that we'll have nights where we eat what we have, not necessarily what we want. And I think that's good. I can get a little too entitled about food, thinking that it exists to serve my desires, when really food, while meant to be enjoyed, is primarily fuel. So, I'll have to let go of loving every meal and embrace resourcefulness. Did you know that the average American throws away between 15 and 40 percent of all groceries bought? Woah. I don't mean to get all "there-are-starving-children-in-Africa on  you, but there are starving children in Africa. Heck, there are starving children in America. Certainly I can put on my big girl panties and be resourceful for a few weeks. (Secretly, I'm hoping that those few weeks can become a lifestyle, although secretly, I'm hoping that lifestyle can still accommodate my love for frozen yogurt. :) All kidding aside, I'm shooting for a few weeks. Baby steps, right?)

Of course, it's quite possible here at the end of the school year that I just can't follow through on this experiment right now and need to opt for easy dinners, so I may re-challenge myself to this in the summer. I'll keep you posted on how it goes and let you know what I'm cooking along the way. Anyone else want to join me in Operation Resourcefulness?

1 comment:

Melissa said...

Good for you! What a great goal, although I will say, I am surprised you are attempting this before school gets out. Hopefully it will simplify things for you and not make them harder. Keep us updated on how it goes!!

The 15-40% thing is really convicting.