Monday, August 30, 2010

Busted.

Hypothetically, if a 2-year-old who doesn't know any better keys your car in order to make a "pretty picture," the punishment would be a stern talking to, not a spank-your-butt-so-hard-it-hurts-for-days punishment. But, if an 8-year-old who knew better did the same thing, you'd better believe his ass would be hurting. I'm the two-year-old, I promise.

After a long week and an even longer Friday, I was driving home from work around 4:45 p.m., taking the back roads route I've driven for the past five years. What I didn't know for the past five years was that from the hours of 4-6 in the evening, this particular left turn that I make every day is illegal. So, naturally, I made the turn, even seeing the cop sitting in the nearby parking lot. I guess he's just taking a little break there, I thought. Oh no. Not a break. Not at all. The moment I drove past him, I saw him whip out and turn on his lights. Busted.

Since I'd never seen the sign, I had no idea why I was being pulled over, and politely told him so.


That turn wasn't legal? 
      No ma'am. There are three signs posted there.
I've lived here for five years and have made that turn every day and have never known that.
      I understand. Several people who live around here have said the same thing but I've written them up.
      It's a dangerous turn at this time of day.
I completely understand that, and I know you're just doing your job. I'm not going to try to talk my way out of this ticket, but I just wish I had known.


So, I'm now the owner of a ticket and a court date, both of which have yet to be processed. And you'd better believe I'm going to court over this. Even if I have to take off work. I'm guilty as charged, but I'm not going to have this go on my otherwise-squeaky-clean driving record and jack up my insurance premiums without a fight (or at least a respectful plea). I didn't know any better, but I'm getting punished as if I did. I'm sure he could make the argument that I should have known better, but if that turn is so dangerous and if people living around it all the time don't even know about the sign, then maybe the sign needs some flashing lights or something. And there's ONE sign, not three, but who's counting, right?

I cried all the way home. Twenty-eight years old and I still hate getting in trouble and feeling like I got worse than I deserved. I don't remember the last time I cried, so I'm pretty sure the crying was about a lot more than the ticket, but it felt good--the crying, not the ticket.

*big sigh* I feel better now. Thanks.

4 comments:

Camille Platt said...

awe man. i got my first and only ticket a few years ago in bham and i cried too.

Eating Cheetos said...

Boo! That is a major bummer. :( Up until this Summer, I had successfully "talked" or "cried" my way out of 3 tickets. But my words/tears didn't work this last time...I received a nice, big, fat ticket -- from a motorcycle police officer, which made it even worse/humiliating...

When it came time to fork over the $200 fine, you can bet those tears were REAL. ;)

Good luck in court -- maybe Thomas can give you some courtroom tips? :)

Melissa said...

awe - this post broke my heart. i'm so sorry!

Christen Sloderbeck said...

Ahh, Cara, I can SO empathize! A good cry is definitely therapeutic though, especially when it's been one of those weeks.