Wednesday, August 18, 2010

Best. Homemade Lasagna. Ever.

I can't take credit for this recipe because I got it from my sister-in-law who got it from her mom who got it from...Southern Living, I think. But let me tell you: it's delicious! So delicious, in fact, that my hand-written recipe card has stains on it because I've made it so much. While it's not my recipe, I have added a few ingredients to suite my tastes, so, without further ado, I present to you:

Bekah's Homemade Lasagna
10 lasagna noodles (I buy the oven-ready ones for simplicity's sake)
1 lb. ground beef or ground turkey
1 clove garlic, minced (optional)
1 small onion, minced (optional)
2 6-oz. cans tomato paste
2 16-oz. (or 1 28-oz.) cans diced Italian seasoned tomatoes, drained
24-oz. container low-fat (or fat free) cottage cheese
1 cup fresh chopped spinach (as much or little as you like)
1 small bag shredded parmesan cheese
2 cups grated mozzarella cheese
2 eggs
4 Tablespoons parsley flakes
Basil, Oregano, Italian seasoning to taste (I usually put in at least a teaspoon of each)
 1/2 tsp. black pepper


  1. If using regular noodles, cook pasta according to directions on package.
  2. In medium sized bowl, mix cottage cheese, eggs, parmesan cheese, chopped spinach and about 4 Tbsp parsley flakes and about 1/2 tsp. black pepper. Set aside. 
  3. In a large skillet, brown ground beef with garlic and onions, then drain. Return to skillet and add tomato paste, diced tomatoes, and seasoning (basil, oregano, Italian seasoning) to taste. 
  4. Spray bottom and sides of 13X9 pan with cooking spray. Lay 5 lasagna noodles across bottom of pan. On top of noodles, add 1/2 cottage cheese mixture. On top of cottage cheese mixture, add 1/2 mozzarella cheese. On top of mozzarella cheese, add 1/2 ground beef mixture. Repeat layering steps one more time. Sprinkle with shredded cheese.  
  5. Bake at 350 45-60 minutes or until warm throughout. 
* This recipe can be made a day ahead, put in the fridge overnight, and baked the next day. 
**Other possible additions: chopped green peppers, mushrooms, fresh chopped tomato, fresh chopped basil, rosemary
***This makes a LOT of lasagna, so if you have a smaller family, consider inviting the neighbors over, or put half in the freezer for a night when you don't have time (or want) to cook!

Enjoy!!!

1 comment:

Camille Platt said...

i can't even count the number of times i've made this since we had it at your house last year.