Tuesday, July 15, 2008

My coffee theory


Coffee always tastes better when someone else makes it. I know it's dangerous to use words like "always" and "never" because of their sweeping assumptions, but in this case, it's appropriate. No matter what brand of coffee I buy and make, it never tastes as good as when others make it. At first, I thought it might be my old coffee maker, but after some deep cleaning of the filter and some introspection, I'm convinced that it tastes sub par simply because I make it. It's like eating hotdogs at a baseball game. Other than your childhood and the occasional cookout, most of us do not prefer hotdogs for dinner, but a ballpark dog--now that's truly enticing.

I was reminded of my theory today as I shared a cup of Publix's decaf breakfast blend with my friend Melissa. She was apologizing for her Publix brand, but honestly, it was a delicious cup of coffee--strong and sweet (I highly recommend it). She could have given me a cup of any brand and I would have loved it because (you guessed it): I didn't make it! (Thanks, Mel!)

When someone else makes the coffee, it means you are with others when drinking it, and there's something about that beverage that begs for company and invites good conversation. It also means you don't have to work for it, which might be a more honest explanation.

Whatever the reason, my theory is uncontested: coffee is better when someone else makes it. I dare you to try to prove me wrong.

No comments: