Thursday, December 6, 2012

Three Things Thursday: Christmas Edition

Thing One: It goes against everything I love about December, but we're not decorating for Christmas this year. I can't believe I'm saying that. Part of me thinks, "It won't take that long to do and you'll love it once it's up." But the other part of me is envisioning how many times I'll have to say "no" to the 1-year-old trying to pull down the tree and how I still have other things to do like baking for neighbors and getting our Christmas cards out and how I really just don't have the energy to decorate this year, especially since it's already December 6, and that means my decorations won't be up even three weeks. Why do I have to be so dang practical? (Sometime I'll tell you the story of the lady who paid me to decorate her tree and then made me show up to take down her tree the day after Christmas even though I had the flu.) I do love Christmas decorations, though, so I may just put up the tree anyway. But probably not. We'll see. If there was ever a year not to decorate, this would be it, because after this year, our kid will be old enough to want a tree with lights lights lights.

Thing Two: I've been drinking my favorite Christmas drink (besides peppermint mochas): Chai lattes. I buy the Tazo concentrate at the grocery store and mix with milk at home for a delicious drink that tastes like Christmas. Mmmm.

photo credit
photo credit
Thing Three: I did set out our advent wreath--my favorite Christmas decoration of all. I spent my childhood December nights around the advent wreath with my family, reading a devotional about the coming Christ, singing Christmas hymns, and eating little waxy chocolates out of cardboard advent calendars. More than tradition, I love the symbolism of the advent wreath, the candles that remind us of the coming Lord and the time set aside to anticipate Him, both as a baby in a manger and as a King who will come again.



No comments: