Thursday, December 27, 2012

Lukewarm coffee and the pantyhose situation

I should rename my blog and call it "Lukewarm Coffee" because that's pretty much what I drink every morning. Lukewarm coffee. Which means that I haven't had (or taken) the time to drink it while it's hot. Which means LIFE is happening. And it's real. And messy. And I wish I could get my act together to drink it hot, but my act is just not that together. But compared to the I-must-be-perfect-and-put-together-and-never-appear-to-have-a-weakness former self, I like this girl much, much better. So, that's that.

Okay, onto far more important things like pantyhose. Pantyhose is far more than an accessory or necessity in my world; it's a situation.  Let's be clear about something: the last pair of hose that squeezed the blood out of my legs and made my waist bubble over happened about a decade ago. Or more. I can't remember. I do NOT wear hose. In fact, in the winter, I just wear pants every week to church because I can't for the life of me figure out how to pull off leggings and boots with a dress/skirt and I absolutely will NOT wear hose. But yesterday I had the honor of being at a very small wedding and since it was really, really cold and my legs were really, really pale and I only had short dresses in my closet, I did what I said I'd never do again: I bought hose. Even buying them (it?), I thought about how I'd much rather be buying a peppermint mocha with that $4.78. The act of purchasing them was almost painful. Not as painful, of course, as wearing them for hours and hours, but painful nonetheless. I also have no idea when it's appropriate to wear nude, black, opaque, or sheer hose, so I just went with sheer nude. Wrong choice, apparently, with a purple dress and black shoes in the winter (correct answer: sheer black). Don't judge--I grew up with all brothers so I have some clear fashion gaps and this is one of them. I pulled off the confident and I-meant-to-do-that appearance, but inside I was wishing my mom had given me a few more fashion tips. God, give me boys.

3 comments:

Camille Platt said...

whew. pantyhose is right up there with the dentist and ironing for me. i would have settled for nude also... but now that i think about it, black probably would have been good. no fake tan (or lack thereof). matches shoes.

Elizabeth said...

I can relate on the pantyhose! I had to dress up last week for my dad's rehearsal dinner and realized how little I actually dress up in the winter. After two trips to the mall (the week before Christmas), I found some toeless ones since I did not have any closed toe dress shoes. When it was all said and done, they still looked bad and felt terrible!

CWJ said...

Good news! I just got Black House White Market's latest catalogue and guess what was on the cover? Yep., little black dresses, black shoes and sheer nude hose (or flawless bare legs--whatever). Take that, fashion world!