Wednesday, November 7, 2012

Living generously

I'm learning about generosity.
About how I cannot be a follower of Jesus AND hold onto my stuff and my time.
About how I need to give more than just money.
How I need to give my time (my precious time),
my energy
my emotions
my thoughts
my talents
my agenda
my home
my things
my gifts.
Give them away.
Why?

"You will be enriched in every way so that you can be generous in every way, which through us will produce thanksgiving to God" (2 Corinthians 9:11). 

Giving isn't about feeling good about myself.
It isn't about doing just enough so that God will bless me.
It isn't about feeling sorry for others or looking good to others.

It's a response to being shown the ultimate generosity.
God became flesh. For me. 
God gave of Himself and gave Himself. For me. 
THAT is generosity. 
And that's why I can be generous in every way.

Every experience in my day becomes an opportunity to be generous, to give my life away on behalf of another. And it's making me thankful. I can't explain it, but it is. 

No comments: