Saturday, November 10, 2012

Book binge

I went through a bit of a book break, my brain only able to take in smaller chunks of info like magazine articles and blog entries, but now I'm back to reading books again and I've turned into a book binger. I'm reading SIX books right now. Six. And I have a stack of ignored magazines to catch up on. What am I thinking? I'll tell you what I'm thinking. I'm thinking that all these books seem really, really good. That they're all interesting and different and that I'm not always in the mood to read the same kind of book.

Since I'm in the middle (or, let's be honest: the first chapter) of most of these books, here's a preview of the book reviews to come and a little explanation of why they're on my bedside table:

What to Expect the Second Year by Heidi Murkoff and Sharon Mazel
My baby's about to be one, so I figured I should read up on what's to come. Always find these books helpful.

Give Them Grace by Elise M. Fitzpatrick and Jessica Thompson
Had this book recommended to me by several people I respect. It's all about changing our message to our kids from "be good" to "we're all messed up and need grace from God." Love that message and need to hear it myself. Really looking forward to reading more of this.

How to Write A Lot by Paul J. Silvia
This little how-to gem is no-nonsense and practical, short and sweet. Many thanks to my writer friend, Lauren, who suggested it and let me borrow her copy. More on this book soon!

Generosity by Gordon MacDonald
Our church sent this devotional to all the members since this is our "stewardship season." It has devotions for four weeks. Phil and I have read two. But we really, really like it so far.

Hunger Games by Suzanne Collins
A little late on this bandwagon, I know. This is the latest installment of what I'm calling "Phil and Cara's book they read together." Totally creative. Phil's not much of a reader, so it's always hard to find books that we both enjoy, so when he suggested this series that I had miraculously not read, I agreed. So far, so good, but it's slow going--not because of the book, but because Phil falls asleep about three pages in whenever we read in bed (my favorite reading spot). Slowly but surely.

The Terrible Speed of Mercy: A Spiritual Biography of Flannery O'Connor by Jonathan Rogers
I cannot say enough about how much I love this book (and Flannery O'Connor). Can't wait to finish it and write a review. Thanks to my friend Melissa for the suggestion!

No comments: