Monday, September 17, 2012

Summer reading: part one

I've waited so long to post about my summer reading that I'm going to break it into two parts so you don't want to gouge your eyes out from reading too much at once. Without further ado, here's what I've been reading:

Jayber Crow by Wendell Berry
People, this guy can write. As in I wish I had read with a pen in hand because there were sentences on every page that I wanted to underline and draw smiley faces beside and drool over. That being said, this book took me forever to read; I just found that I could put it down for a while.

In the novel, the protagonist, Jayber Crow, tells the story of his life from early childhood to death, mostly taking place in one small town. Ultimately, this is a story about place, about living somewhere long enough to have roots, to know the land, to know life and death, and to tell stories. The story line itself didn't grip me as much as as the writing, but I think that's probably just me because my friends who have read the book liked the plot much more than I did.

While I liked Berry's Hannah Coulter better, I genuinely love the way this man writes. The word that comes to mind is unadulterated. It's as rich as the soil he tilled in his Kentucky farm. He also studied under Wallace Stegner (see Crossing to Safety below)--something I didn't realize until after I'd read both books. Overall, my recommendation is that you read a Wendell Berry book; I don't really think it matters which one.

Reason for God: Belief in an Age of Skepticism by Tim Keller
This is another book that I've read off and on for a while. Like two and half years a while. But I'm so glad I kept at it and finished it. For a book that tackles dense and difficult questions like why God allows suffering, it was surprisingly accessible. Tim Keller, pastor at Redeemer Presbyterian Church in New York City, spends the first half of the book addressing questions skeptics ask most often and the second half of the book explaining how faith in Jesus even works. He has about 40 pages of notes at the end of the book, and I appreciate how he draws not only on his own intellect and on scripture, but also on the wisdom of others throughout history. A philosophy major in college, Keller makes some thoughtful and convincing points about the questionable parts of Christianity, and even if you don't agree with everything he says (although I pretty much do), the book will make you think more intentionally about what and why you believe what you do. Thankfully, I did read this book with a pen in hand because I'll definitely be returning to it in the future, and when I do, I'll be glad I underlined a few things. Highly recommend. I kind of want all my friends to read it.

Crossing to Safety by Wallace Stegner
An avid reader, my mother-in-law recommended Stegner's Angle of Repose sometime last year, and for some reason, I just couldn't get into it and gave it up after about 30 or 40 pages. Convinced (and rightly so) of Stegner's literary prowess, she suggested another of his books, Crossing to Safety. This one, I really enjoyed. It tells the story of two couples from vastly different backgrounds. Both husbands are English professors at a small college, so of course that part appealed to me. But really, I loved the theme of friendship throughout--the unlikely, sometimes-messy, sometimes-elated, sometimes-sorrowful nature of friendship. The plot was interesting and held my interest, but the characters really drove the story. I mostly loved that none of the characters was perfect, that they were depicted flaws and all. Since I've had mixed experiences with Stegner's writing, I'll wait for someone to recommend the next book of his to read, but this one I definitely recommend.

1 comment:

Christen Sloderbeck said...

Loved catching up on your blog tonight! Makes me wish I had more time to write and read! I appreciated your thoughtful book reviews. I can't wait for Moo to say "tia" soon, too. :)