Friday, February 3, 2012

Scratch that.

Remember that allergic reaction I had in my eye even though I'm not allergic to anything, my eye wasn't itching, and it felt like something had scratched my eye? Well, it wasn't an allergic reaction.

I woke up the following morning after starting on steroids and found that I was extremely light sensitive. Like I had all the blinds closed and the lights off and I still couldn't hold my lid open--that sensitive. I'm sure I looked hilarious driving to the grocery store with sunglasses on top of regular glasses, the visor down, AND my hand up to my forehead blocking the sun and holding open my eyelids at the same time. That's right: holding them open. Not exactly a shining moment in my driving career. On top of all of that, my eye was throbbing from the back forward and felt like it was expanding in my socket. Not exaggerating. Bleh.

So, I did what I hate to do again: I went back to the doctor for a second opinion. This time, I saw someone more competent who said I did not have an allergic reaction but a pretty sizable corneal abrasion (a.k.a. scratch on my eye). He had no idea how the person before could have missed it, and all the light sensitivity and swelling was a reaction to the steroids I'd been prescribed. Wish I had known that before I spent $45 on steroids that not only didn't work but made things worse. So, I got off the steroids and onto antibiotics and began a week of wearing glasses.

Now, a week later, I'm happy to report that I am wearing contacts again, am fairly pain free, have the blinds open, and will always go with my gut and get a second opinion when I need to.

1 comment:

Eating Cheetos said...

I'm so sorry you had to go through all that! Taking care of a baby is hard enough -- I can't imagine doing it practically blindfolded! ;)