Sunday, January 1, 2012

Resolved

Resolve. 
Re-solve. 
To figure out again.

Each year, we begin with resolutions thinking we have an answer for making life better--and there's nothing wrong with that. I'll be making resolutions again this year, too. But here's the thing about resolutions: they have to be re-done each year (if not before) because we're ever and always in the process of becoming. So, last year, I made my 30 before 30 list, and it has served as a great motivator for me, but this year, I'm in another place. I need something different. I need to re-solve this life of mine.

So, this year I have ONE resolution: look to the good. Not look for the good, which implies that it may or may not be found, but look to the good, because it's there--always--in some way. 

God has sense of humor, of course. Today, as I'm typing this, my child has decided not to nap. As in not at all since sometime this morning. He's miserable but won't sleep so it's been a looooong day for all of us. As in I'm completely at the end of myself (and it's taken me the entire to day finish this post). On top of that, I have a few other personal struggles going on and it's just so dang easy to complain. To be angry. To be frustrated. To feel overwhelmed. To wish today could just end and tomorrow would be guaranteed to be better.

BUT 
in the midst of all the inconvenience, disappointment, frustration, and heartache, 
there is GOOD.
 I have a healthy child. 
He has been happy most of the day. 
Phil has been home all day and has been a huge help. 
We have a warm house on a cold night. 
You get the picture. 

There's reason to be grateful and that's where I need to be--not denying the difficulty of the moment or day or season, but not dwelling there either. This is my re-solving, my becoming.

Finally, brothers, whatever is true, whatever is honorable, whatever is just, whatever is pure, whatever is lovely, whatever is commendable, if there is any excellence, if there is anything worthy of praise, think about these things. (Phil. 4:8)

1 comment:

Christen Sloderbeck said...

Loved getting to talk about this and more in person the other day...always a treat to spend time with you and share such quality conversation! Praying for you & this resolution, friend.