Saturday, January 7, 2012

PediCURE


I'm not one of those people who gets a pedicure on a regular basis...or one of those people who call it a "pedi," for that matter. For one, I can't afford it, and for another, I'm just not that girly. BUT every once in a while, I do love (and I mean love) a pedicure. And until this past week, I'm pretty sure I've never had a pedicure in the winter because, let's be honest: who really sees your feet in the winter anyway?

Having seen my swollen, pregnant ankles cankles several months ago, my friend Christen was so sweet to give me the gift of a pedicure for Christmas, now that I have my ankles back. So, earlier this week, we began 2012 with a wintertime pedicure, and it was a gift in more than one way.

First, I was able to leave Moo with the hubs and have some time to myself where I didn't have to be "on." I wasn't listening for noise on a monitor or watching the clock to see if it was time for the next feeding. I was able to be fully present in a moment instead of somewhat distracted. *Sigh* Second, I got to spend quality time (my love language!) with a dear friend. I was also able to have my feet and legs massaged, which never gets old; my feet felt like they had lost years when I left! Finally, I've discovered that a wintertime pedicure is the gift that keeps on giving. Every night when I take off my wool socks to hop in the shower, I forget that I have beautiful toes and it makes me smile. After feeling so utilitarian lately with my body, it's nice to feel pretty and to feel like a woman (am I right, Shania?). 

So, even if you end up wearing flipflops on a 30-degree day, the wintertime pedicure is the way to go. It's going to need to be an annual event for Christen and me. Or at least for me. What do you do in winter to lasso a little bit of happy? 

2 comments:

Melissa said...

what a fun treat for a new mom! i need to remember that as a gift idea...babies get so many things, i think new moms should get a little tlc, too. and, like you said, it's nice to go and get pampered when you're child free. i almost fell asleep in the massage chair yesterday during mine.

i think i've only had one since we went...was that last year!? we'll need to go again in a few months once little richie gets here!

great to see you yesterday. love.

Christen Sloderbeck said...

Love, love, loved our pedicure date, too! Quality time + old, dear friend + being pampered = simply wonderful. Great idea on the annual event as well!