Monday, January 17, 2011

Ashley

Since Ashley was the winner of the "replacement goal" contest, here is my tribute post to her. Far from her self-described "boring ole self," she's a fascinating woman that I can't wait to introduce to you!

Writing about Ashley is a little like writing about a lovely place you've visited. While we went to college together, I only knew Ashley from afar, and, to be honest, she was so beautiful and put together that I assumed she was snobby. I should know better than to assume, but I did. Her husband, Daniel, has been one of my husband's biggest supporters through college, medical school and now residency, so they actually knew each other much better than Ashley and I ever did.

Right before they moved far, far away, we had dinner with Ashley & Daniel, and it was really the first time I was able to have extended time with them. And can I just tell you, my assumptions about Ashley couldn't have been more wrong! She was so down-to-earth, funny, honest, and sincere--qualities I value most in my friendships. Weeks later, they moved away. Years of friendship-by-association and one dinner later, I found that I was missing a friendship that never had time to develop.

Thankfully, I've continued getting to know her through her blog, which is such a precious chronicle of her life with her husband and daughter. So, without further ado, here are my

Top Ten Reasons to Love Ashley (in no particular order):

  1. She's an amazing photographer and should totally consider doing children/family photography on the side at some point in the future. 
  2. She's creative. I always look forward to seeing their Christmas card and/or reading about the latest innovative idea she has. 
  3. The girl can throw a party! I admire her attention to detail, her efforts to make her home welcoming, and her ability to make each guest feel honored. Check out pictures from her daughter's birthday party here. Absolutely amazing. Ashley, can you come to my house when I have kids one day?
  4. She is an incredible mom. If there's one thing their daughter knows without a doubt, it's that she's loved. Ashley and Daniel are such admirable parents in their patience, discipline, fun, and creativity. While it isn't always easy, they genuinely enjoy parenthood, and it shows.
  5. She has a heart for adoption. We share this passion, so I love hearing anything she has to say about it. 
  6. She's a model wife. If their daughter thinks she's loved, she don't have nuthin' on Daniel! Ashley's support, commitment, encouragement, prayer, and JOY in her marriage are qualities I've always admired.
  7. She loves Jesus. Right now, I see this most in the way she's teaching her daughter about Him, but I also see it in her humility, her decisions, and the way she leads her life. She makes me want to be more like Him. 
  8. She has a great sense of style. Seriously, I have yet to see something on her that I don't like. Do tell, Ashley, where do you shop?? (And feel free to put more pictures of yourself on your blog!)
  9. Her writing is fun to read. After years in the marketing industry, she knows how to tell a story and tell it with humor!
  10. Speaking of, she has a quirky sense of humor. And by "quirky," I mean all the good stuff that comes along with that word: a funny-witty-cheesy combo that brings lots of smiles my way. 

Thanks for your friendship, Ashley. One day when we don't live quite so far apart, I look forward to picking up on our face-to-face friendship. To tide us over, though, we may just have to plan a trip to Oklahoma soon! 

2 comments:

Molly Page said...

what a sweet post. Headed to check out her blog now!

Meredith said...

Cara, I just found your blog and love it! :) This is so sweet... and sadly, I too only knew Ashley from a distance in college. Very sweet tribute.