Saturday, March 27, 2010

I'm just sayin'

Have you ever noticed how there are certain phrases that are excusatory, that can get you out of anything, that smooth over a biting comment? Down South, we like to say "Bless their heart," but for those of us who might find that a little too old-ladyish, we have an alternative: "I'm just sayin'." For example:

"You'd look better in that blue shirt.  I'm just sayin'."
"I'm just sayin', that conversation was really awkward."
"The guy in this picture? Odd. Really odd. I'm just sayin'."

It's as if this little phrase justifies any words that come before or after it. Try it. I'm not sayin' it will always smooth things over, but just see how it goes. I bet most of you say this several times a week and don't even know it.  I'm just sayin'.

No comments: