Wednesday, October 14, 2009

This season's drink pick: Tazo Chai


I have to give my sister-in-law, Bekah, credit for introducing me to the deliciousness that is Tazo chai. I first tasted a chai latte when I was in high school at my favorite coffee shop in Chattanooga, Greyfriar's. With its black tea and spices, I excitedly concluded that it tasted "like Christmas" and couldn't get enough of it. However, my wallet could get enough of it, so I rarely bought it. Last year, though, Bekah introduced me to the cartons of Tazo chai that you can buy in the grocery store (specifically Publix and Target; Wal-mart doesn't carry it), and it has been my fall/winter indulgence ever since.

The best part (besides saving money) is that it's so easy to make. You pour half your mug full of the chai concentrate and fill the rest of the mug up with the milk of your choice (I prefer skim). Stir, microwave for a minute and a half, and voila! A perfect cup of chai that tastes just like it came from a coffee shop. If microwaves freak you out, you can heat it up on the stovetop in a saucepan, too. And at $3.99 a carton and eight servings per carton, each cup of chai runs me about 50 cents, which is a heck of a lot better than $3.50. It comes in decaf and regular, although I have to have regular.

With the leaves brightening and falling and the cooler temps outside, I have a carton of chai in my fridge, another one on deck in my pantry, and a hot cup of it in my hand. Tis the season to drink chai!

1 comment:

Camille Platt said...

it DOES taste like christmas!