Saturday, October 11, 2008

Just Say No


While many Americans would confess to caffeine addiction, I suffer from caffeine sensitivity. That's right: only decaf for me...unless you want my heart rate to speed up, my head to pound, my body to become jittery, and my emotions to turn somewhat bipolar. I realize that the term "caffeine sensitivity" takes a lowly place on the health world shelf next to Restless Leg Syndrome, the common cold, and allergies, but it is a real medical condition. Thankfully, there's an easy cure: avoid caffeine. For me, that means I must divorce myself from regular coffee and tea, but may still maintain my relationship with decaf and chocolate.

If my body reacts this way to a minor stimulant like caffeine, I can only imagine what would happen if a real drug got in my system. I'd be that kid who dies the first time she tries Speed. The motto "Just Say No" comes in handy. Speed? "No." Caffeine? "No." Chocolate? "Yes please!" So...I have a weakness. At least it's not drugs.

No comments: