Tuesday, October 14, 2008

Ham-Ham-Hammer Time


An M.C. Hammer classic, "Too Legit to Quit" popped in my head today and just wouldn't leave--typical of those catchy 80s songs. Anyway, I shared with my creative writing class that the song had been playing like a broken record and one of my students said, "Is that song, like, old?" And another said, "I don't know that song." And yet another, "Those are the words to that song?" Before they could floor me any further, I stopped them with an incredulous, "You really haven't heard that song? Am I THAT old, really?" (And of course I'm thinking, "Is that song old? Because it doesn't seem old to me.")

A sweet girl in the front row said, "Mrs. Johnson, you're not old." Brown noser or not, that girl is getting an A.

There's a lot from the 80s that needs never to return (big hair, glowing makeup, leg warmers, tied t-shirts, splotchy jeans, braided belts, and neon colors, to name a few), but M.C. Hammer, jellies, and Alligator polos are welcome to stick around. They're just too legit to quit.

2 comments:

CWJ said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Anonymous said...

The song isn't as old as you think. It was came out early '90's b/c it was the theme-song of Andre Rison and the Atlanta Falcons during their short-lived playoff run in '92. Hammer himself came to games and stood on the sidelines. We were definitely 2LTQ...until we got beat.