Thursday, October 22, 2009

Mouth-wateringly delicious!


Subscribing to both Cooking Light and Rachel Ray Every Day, I have my fair share of new recipes to try each month, which I love. Typically I try to follow debut recipes to a tee so that I don't mess anything up, but lately, I've been putting my own spin on recipes, depending on what's in my fridge and in my brain. So, here was last night's concoction, based loosely on a Rachel Ray recipe:

Spinach and Mushroom Calzones

2 lbs fresh spinach leaves
1 package pre-sliced mushrooms
1/2 small onion
1 tsp. garlic
10-15 grape or cherry tomatoes, sliced
8 oz. mozzarella cheese
1/4 cup shredded parmesan cheese
1 tsp. Italian seasoning
1 roll refrigerated pizza dough
Marinara sauce

Preheat oven to 425. In a large skillet, boil 1/4 cup water. Pour in half of spinach. Turn until wilted, about 2 minutes. Drain. Pour in other half of spinach until wilted, and drain. Allow spinach to cool some. Meanwhile, in the same large skillet, saute mushrooms, onion, and garlic in a little olive oil. Press as much liquid as possible out of spinach and coarsely chop. Place chopped spinach in medium size bowl along with tomatoes. When onions are translucent, drain and add to spinach mixture. Add cheeses and Italian seasoning, stirring until all ingredients are combined. On a greased cookie sheet, spread out pizza dough. Fill half of the long length of dough with spinach/mushroom/cheese mixture. Fold dough over to cover the mixture, pinching edges to create a pocket. Make sure there is at least one ventilation slit in top of calzone. Sprinkle with parmesan cheese and bake for 20-30 minutes or until golden brown. Cut into 5-6 slices and serve with marinara sauce. Serves: 3-4. Enjoy!

No comments: