Sunday, October 4, 2009

Say Anything


Today was a rainy Sunday afternoon, so Phil and I decided to watch a movie and found ourselves thoroughly entertained by the 1989 classic, Say Anything, starring John Cusack and Ione Skye. We had both seen pieces of it and, of course, knew the famous scene where Lloyd Dobbler holds up the boom box playing "Your Eyes" when trying to woo back Diane Court, but we had never really had the full Say Anything experience. It did not disappoint. We were entertained--not so much because of the movie's quality, but because of it's dated hilarity. If you need a good laugh, watch an 80s movie; the clothes, subpar acting (although I love John Cusack and think he's brilliant in most of his movies), and cheesy lines certainly had us laughing the entire hour and forty minutes! It's quite possibly one of the most quotable movies ever created. Here are just a few of our favorite lines:

Diane Court: Are you shaking?
Lloyd Dobler: No.
Diane Court: You're shaking.
Lloyd Dobler: I don't think so.
Diane Court: You're cold.
Lloyd Dobler: I don't think I am.
Diane Court: Then why are you shaking?
Lloyd Dobler: I don't know. I think I'm happy.

Lloyd Dobler: The rain on my car is a baptism, the new me, Ice Man, Power Lloyd, my assault on the world begins now.

D.C.: Lloyd, why do you have to be like this?
Lloyd Dobler: 'Cause I'm a guy. I have pride.
Corey Flood: You're not a guy.
Lloyd Dobler: I am.
Corey Flood: No. The world is full of guys. Be a man. Don't be a guy.

Lloyd Dobler: What I really want to do with my life - what I want to do for a living - is I want to be with your daughter. I'm good at it.

Lloyd Dobler: I'm gonna take Diane Court out again.
Corey Flood: Well, that's unlikely.
Lloyd Dobler: Is the movies a good second date? You know, as a date?
Corey Flood: Well, you never had a first date.
Lloyd Dobler: Yes we did. I sat across from her at a mall. We ate together. We ate. That's eating. Sharing an important physical event.
Corey Flood: That's not even a scam.
Lloyd Dobler: What's a scam?
Corey Flood: Going out as friends.
D.C.: No, it's not. Scam is lusting.

Joe: Dude, where'd she dump you, man?
Lloyd Dobler: In the car.
Denny: Oh man, your car? Man, Dissed in the Malibu. Thats your castle, man.

CLASSIC. To read more, go here. I think I'm going to go on an 80s movie kick. Any suggestions of ones I need to see?

1 comment:

Eating Cheetos said...

Daniel and I have never seen that movie all the way through either...I think you've just inspired our Friday date night. :)

As for suggestions...we recently watched City Slickers. We had forgotten most of it and shared some good laughs throughout. Oh, and you get at least four Billy Crystal "Hellooooo"s in it which always makes me happy. (I think it was an early 90s movie, but still has lovely 80s remnants.)