Friday, August 8, 2008

Writing, living, and Chinese food


I read an article in The Writer magazine today, explaining that good writing comes from good living. Maybe that's why I have a hard time blogging during the school year and such an easy time in the summer. The author suggested living creatively, oddly, adventurously with the aim that it will fuel more interesting writing. He noted that it might be appropriate sometimes to take off a day of work, try a new skill, write with your non-dominant hand, or go somewhere unusual. Some might call teaching adolescents an adventure in itself (and it is), but from August to May my life crams with work, ousting that extra time for "creative living." So, one of my goals this year is to find time and ways to do interesting things in the midst of the working world--not just so that I'll have more to write about, but also so that I can have some f-u-n. After a day of planning, meetings, making copies, and putting tennis balls on the legs of desks so they don't scrape the floor, I'm ready for some of that good living. So, in honor of living creatively and well, Phil and I are off to my brother's house to order Chinese food (it's only appropriate) and watch the opening ceremonies of the Olympics! Life is good.

1 comment:

Melissa said...

i've got one word for you, johnson.

karaoke.