Wednesday, August 6, 2008

Two more dream stories


As many of you know, my dream life is extremely active and entertaining, especially after reading before going to bed. Phil and I have been reading book 7 of Harry Potter out loud to each other at night (I've already read it once and Phil is experiencing it for the first time) and it has produced some pretty hilarious and outlandish dreams. Here are the latest two:

1. The first dream wasn't very coherent, but what I remember is that by friend Matt, who is in med school with Phil and goes to church with us, was a renowned lawyer, dressed very suavely with a crisp suit and tie, shined shoes, a briefcase, and aviator sunglasses (of course). He ended up on a helicopter that started to spin out of control. For whatever reason, the pilot wasn't doing anything, so he took the controls and safely landed it. Because of that, we named him "church lawyer," although at another point in the dream he was also the pastor of a mega church. When he was the pastor of the mega-church, he was bringing on the reformed theology (no Joel Osteen, thankfully) dressed in slacks and a button down--maybe a tie--and it was rather carnival-like with people moving around all the time, ushers with headsets, and 3 rows of balconies. So, if the medicine thing doesn't work out for him, he could apparently be a lawyer, pilot, and pastor...or all three, for that matter!

2. My second dream this week was a bit more coherent and was the product of one of my new favorite shows, Last Comic Standing. In my dream, however, it was Last Improver Standing. I was in the final 20 or so contestants and, while I didn't think I was good enough to win, I was able to hold my own. Here's how it worked: we went out on stage in pairs, not having any idea what we would be asked to do, and were judged on our ability to improvise a scene. One time I went on stage with an exceptionally attractive guy. We were given the first line of the scene and that was it. Unfortunately, I can't remember what the line was, but I do remember making all the judges, audience members, and most importantly, the hot guy laugh, which was rewarding. The second time I went on stage I was with a middle-aged woman and there was a small pile of props there that we were to incorporate into a scene. All I remember is using a bunch of green apples somehow and yelling at her (in character, of course). I woke up before the final cuts, but it was nice to be so entertaining and creative and fearless! Only in my dreams...

We have several chapters left in Harry Potter, so I'm sure there are more dream stories to come. Until then, beware: you might just show up in my next nocturnal adventure!

No comments: