Saturday, April 19, 2014

Back in the saddle

For a while there I wasn't writing because I was just surviving. Like trying to sleep and eat enough in a day kind of surviving. The last couple of weeks I haven't been writing because I've been living again.

Got my hair cut (it had been 6 months).
Got a massage (thank you, Groupon and husband!)
Had dinner with my sweet cousin who's a JAG officer and about to move to Japan for three years.
Went on a day date with Phil where we went hiking followed by steaks at Outback.
Read a book.
Made a bunch of new recipes (and liked most of them).

But I may have overestimated my new-found energy because I also found myself signing up for a 5K and signing up to teach preschool VBS again this year. Wha???

Just to be clear, I haven't trained at all for the 5K and it's two weeks away. Honestly, I'm pretty out of shape. Remember those months of survival? Yeah, they didn't include working out. But my friends can get me to do just about anything if they say the magic words "I really need someone to do this with me," so here I am, showing up as a friend. Okay, okay, it's not just being a friend, although running with a buddy is definitely more fun. I actually kind of want to run. It's a good goal. A good cause. And I keep telling myself that as long as I go slow enough, I can run the whole thing. I'll let you know how that theory works out once I actually start training. Tomorrow, I think, sounds like a good day to run. Maybe.

I'd like to think this is how I'll look:

But let's be honest. It'll probably be a lot more like this guy:

It's cool, though. I get a free T-shirt of out of it and can say things like, "I can't do that on Saturday morning. I have to run a 5K." (For our purposes, we'll use the term "run" to mean anything from being carried to walking to jogging.)

Coming up soon:
  • Noodle turns 6 months
  • Moo's hilarious moments
  • Easter reflections

3 comments:

elizabeth said...

Haha you are so funny! Love reading your blog :)
Way to go running the 5k!

Eating Cheetos said...

5k?! Go girl! We'll be cheering you on from Cleveland! Team Cara!!

Christen Sloderbeck said...

I would like to point out that this blog is not entirely accurate: you forgot the major detail that this whole thing was your idea when you told me to look for a 5K for us to run! And despite my competitive nature, I promise to stick with you even if you look the guy in picture #2.

I think it's going to come back to you...just like serving a volleyball. :)