Thursday, July 18, 2013

Three Things Thursday

photo credit
Thing one: why I've been away.
Truth moment. Part of why I've been such an inconsistent blogger lately is because, after over a year of catching up on the show, I finally finished watching every season of Friday Night Lights. Laugh. Roll your eyes. Do whatever you need to do to pass judgement on me for this, but y'all. It's such a great show. And the second half of that last season just baited me and I had to watch it instead of blog because I'd spent some serious time with those characters and needed to know where their lives were going. You understand, right?

Thing two: magazine I love.
photo credit
Last Christmas, my in-laws gave me a subscription to World Magazine and let me tell you: I'm loving it. Since I can't handle the worst-case-scenario nature of the news and I don't love reading my news online, this bi-weekly magazine is a great option for me. I can read it at my leisure, catch up on world news, and see some incredible pictures. While the magazine is from a Christian perspective, I'm impressed overall with the breadth of the coverage and the quality and balanced reporting of the writers.

Thing three: why decorating is NOT my thing.
We've been slowly converting our guest room into a nursery for Baby Girl. Right now, it just has a really great rug with a mattress on it that Moo likes to do flips on. Pretty much his dream room. Except that it's going to be his sister's (whom he's now calling "Sissy"--quite the upgrade from "Backseat").

It seems like women are expected to be able to do all things domestic--like it's in our DNA or something. Not so, people. Decorating, for example, is not my thing. As in what little I know comes from a few magazine articles, pining after everything at Pottery Barn, and asking my friends a million questions. So the idea of re-doing a room is daunting and, honestly, not fun for me. I'd rather spend my time on lots of other things. In fact, I'd rather pay someone to decorate for me, but I'm too cheap for that, so I'm stretching myself and trying to figure out this whole decorating a room thing on my own. Thanks to some sweet friends for their input, I'm making headway, but ready to be done. All I've decided on are the rug and curtains, but those are the biggest commitments to me, so I can work around that for the rest. Here's what I've got so far (pic on bottom is curtain pattern):
photo credit

photo credit
If you're one of those people who likes to decorate and you happen to be my friend, I won't stop you if you want to give me advice or help. :) Just don't tell me you don't like what I've already chosen because that's already happened. Moving on.

4 comments:

Camille Platt said...

Love! Are you doing white furniture? Looking for wall art ideas or bedding ideas?

CWJ said...

Would love to do white furniture, but am working with what we already have, which is a honey/walnut color. Someone is giving me a free crib (might be white or honey) and dresser and bookshelf are walnut already. Not really interested in painting the furniture since we'll already be painting the walls and some of the furniture has a finish on it that would make painting a pretty big job. Wall decor: only thing I have for now is a friend doing a painting for me for above the crib. Open to ideas!! There's coordinating fabric for bumper/pillow, but I just can't justify shelling out $160 for a bumper, so might just go with plain white cheap one (I'm pro-bumper) and find a sheet to match color scheme...

Eating Cheetos said...

So, you and my sister are due just a week apart and love the exact same bedding. She's having a boy, but loved the simplicity of this nursery. Looks like it has some gender neutral touches that might get some decorating juices flowing! :)

http://www.urbanejane.com/2013/01/the-nursery-reveal.html?m=1


CWJ said...

Ooh Ashley! I love those ideas! Now if I could just snap my fingers and have it done with I'd be set! :)