Wednesday, July 31, 2013

Being THAT girl on the side of the interstate. Keepin' it classy, y'all.

I should have taken pictures, but I was so over it by the time I found myself on the side of the interstate at 9:45 p.m. in a bridesmaid dress with my hair did. And six and a half months pregnant. You get the picture. Kinda like this one to the right but a few hours later, with flip flops on and circles under my eyes.

When my trusty 1999 Sentra coughed unexpectedly on the way home from my friend's wedding, I had just enough time to move over to the emergency lane before losing power entirely. Phil was already home and asleep, preparing to take his board exam in the morning (only one of the most important tests he'll every take in his life and one he's been studying for for over a year--no big deal). I knew he'd be mad if I didn't at least call and let him know what happened, so after waking him up and assuring him that I was fine and rolling with the punches, it was my friend Christen who saved the day and came to my rescue.

Actually, a police officer came first. Not because I called him. Probably because he saw the likes of me and had to know the story. He gave me a ride to a McDonalds off the interstate where Christen picked me up. You should know that Christen had already driven 5-1/2 hours from Tallahassee that day, then driven an hour round trip to the same wedding I was in and was already in her PJs when I called her. She's THAT kind of friend, y'all.

So, this washed-up bridesmaid made it home safely, and the best part is that our car can be fixed for a couple hundred dollars and we don't have to buy a new one!

I'm warning you, though, Sentra. The next time will be the last straw, so pull yourself together, girl. We've been through too much together for you to quit on me now.

P.S. For safety and space reasons, I usually drive our other car with Moo while Phil takes his chances with the Sentra to and from work.

3 comments:

Eating Cheetos said...

Oh goodness, glad it was a cheap fix!

And on another bright side, it made for a funny blog post... :)

Anonymous said...

Cara - Your life sounds so exciting - even with a broken down car and a sleepy husband. Kudos to THAT kind of friend! Oh to be selfless enough to qualify for that comment by some in my circles.

You do look classy - at all times - I'm proud to include you in MY FAMILY circle!

You make us all look good! - And possibly even a bit more Christian! Bless you - your m-i-l! VJ

Christen Sloderbeck said...

Even in the moment, I knew this would make a hilarious blog post! Loved reading it and reliving it, but this time from my couch, haha. Thanks for the kind shout-out, too. Your "roll with the punches" attitude and ability to hold it together (read: not break down into tears like I would) still impresses me!