Wednesday, May 1, 2013

Herbs and Spices

One of you asked about herbs and spices--whether I use fresh or dried, how much, what I use them for. Great questions. Keep in mind that I'm no expert, but I'll tell you what works for me.

The spices listed on the previous post were just the skeleton--the ones that show up all the time in recipes and the ones I turn to when trying to add flavor to a dish. Here are the bare bones spices I recommend: salt, pepper, Italian seasoning, basil, oregano, chili powder, cumin, parsley, rosemary, and cinnamon.)

To answer your question about fresh or dried, here's my take: fresh always tastes better. HOWEVER, I rarely use fresh when cooking because a) I only end up using part of it and having to throw the rest away, b) it's quicker to use dried because you don't have to chop anything, and c) it's a little cheaper in the long run. I do grow basil and rosemary in my garden because I use those so often and like how they look in my yard, but that's about it for what I use fresh on a regular basis.

As for how much to use, the general rule is that you use three times the amount of fresh herbs as dry herbs. So, if a recipe calls for 3 tablespoons of fresh basil, you could substitute 1 tablespoon of dried basil with similar results.

Other spices in my kitchen that I use enough to justify having them:
paprika, ground (cayenne) red pepper, thyme, ground mustard, ground nutmeg, dill weed, ground ginger, garlic powder, garlic salt (I usually make my own--1 part garlic powder to 3 parts salt), Tony's Creole seasoning.

As for how I use those spices, I'll give a sampling of possibilities for each spice listed so that this post doesn't turn into a novel. Also, items with a ** mean you can use them more liberally; items with a * mean you should use them sparingly since a little bit goes a long way. Typically, when you have a recipe, use the amounts and spices they recommend the first time you make it; then adjust to your liking or make substitutions as you want to after that.

*salt & pepper: I pretty much use these all the time. I'm fairly sparing with both because you can always add more later if it's not enough.
**Italian seasoning: Obvious addition to many Italian dishes, but also great for soups, stews, and baked or crusted lean meat (chicken/fish) recipes.
**basil: This is good on italian dishes, salads, raw veggies, and even sandwiches.
**oregano: This is good on/in just about anything--Italian dishes, salads, breads etc.
*chili powder: Use in any Mexican dish or as part of a homemade rub.
**cumin: Use in any Mexican dish or as part of a homemade rub.
**parsley: I use this a lot in savory recipes like lasagna.
*rosemary: Toss root vegetables like sweet potatoes with olive oil and rosemary and bake at 375 for about 30 minutes or until soft--delicious! Also great in bread and on chicken.
*cinnamon: How do I love thee? Let me count the ways. Use it to make cinnamon toast, add to french toast or pancake batter, include in muffin or bread mix and homemade granola, use as part of a homemade rub, or sprinkle on a bagel topped with cream cheese.
**paprika: This is way more than a garnish for your grandma's potato salad; use it to make your own taco seasoning along with chili powder, cumin, and a few other things (lots of easy recipes online).
*ground red pepper: ATINY bit goes a long way, so be warned! Add to soups and rubs for an extra kick of flavor.
**thyme: Easy to throw into spaghetti sauce, sprinkle on baked chicken, etc.
*ground mustard: Some casseroles call for this.
*ground nutmeg: Great for baked goods around the holidays like pumpkin bread, muffins, & cookies.
*allspice: Great in the fall for pumpkin bread. I use this VERY sparingly because it has a bitter flavor.
*dill weed: I use this in my homemade bread. Also great added to Greek yogurt for dipping sauce for gyros or other Mediterranean food.
*ground ginger: I don't use this often and I really can't remember why I have this, but I've used it enough times that I definitely think it's good to have around, and I've substituted this for fresh ginger (not the same, but it usually gets the job done).
**garlic powder/garlic salt: Sprinkle on buttered bread and toast in the oven for homemade garlic bread, add to guacamole, include in a meat marinade, sprinkle on steamed veggies; also an ingredient in lots of recipes
*Tony's Creole seasoning: sprinkle on veggies like broccoli before broiling in oven, include in jambalaya, or add to meat just before grilling. Use this like salt, though; a little goes a long way.

Hope that answers some of your questions! Keep 'em coming! And stay tuned for my all-time favorite recipe using cream cheese and cinnamon. Yum!

1 comment:

PAige said...

Thanks for this!! It is really helpful. I will have to use some of these ideas when we get back and start cooking again. (so pumped for grocery shopping...it's the little things in life)

:) Paige