Monday, January 14, 2013

Jen Hatmaker's book 7: An Experimental Mutiny against Excess


If you didn't read my last post, go ahead and read it. I'll wait. 

No seriously. It will just take a minute. Go on already.

Okay. So, here's the gist of the book: For seven months, Jen decided to focus on seven areas of her life (one per month) that had become too important to her, and she vowed to reduce and simplify that area for the month. She did this in the spirit of a fast--saying no to something in order to create space for God to speak, denying herself something so that she could give somewhere else, living simply to give generously. Her seven areas were: food, clothes, shopping, waste, possessions, media, and stress. This is one of those books where reading the introduction is a MUST. I had so many objections and questions for her even before I started the book: "Are you suggesting that we should all go to these extremes?" "What's the point here? Do you do this just so you could write a book?" "What happens when these months are up?" "Won't this just turn into legalism?" Jen anticipates those questions and answers them winsomely in the intro, so don't miss that. I'll give you the gist of each chapter and then do a follow-up post on what that meant for me:

Food  
The goal: eat only 7 foods in any combination. (She did research to make sure she was getting adequate nutrition and also allowed herself salt and pepper for seasoning.)

Clothes
The goal: wear only 7 items of clothing in any combination (including shoes and jewelry but omitting undergarments).

Spending 
The goal: shop at only 7 places (including food and gas).

Waste 
The goal: start 7 habits for a greener life.

Possessions
The goal: give 7 things away every day.

Media
The goal: give up 7 forms of media (unless necessary for work).

Stress
The goal: pause 7 times a day for focused prayer; observe the Sabbath once a week.


A few general things I love about the book:
  • She did her experiment in community, with 7 (imagine that) of her best friends.
  • She messed up each month and broke her own rules for herself, which makes her human. I like that. I need that.
  • Most importantly, the book really pushed me to not just simplify, but simplify with a purpose. I often miss the second half of fasting. I'll give up, but only so I can store up, instead of giving something up so I can give away more. It's not just about living simply; it's about what you do with the excess time, money, space, and energy you create when you simplify. 

2 comments:

Jen said...

So curious! I can't believe you didn't mention this today. I have got to get my hands on that book.

Erin said...

I read this a few months ago...let's get together to discuss! :)