Monday, June 6, 2011

Warning: this Chex mix IS addicting

I have lots of big, exciting things to blog about, but for now, I leave you with one of my favorite easy recipes--perfect for a crowd or just to have around to munch on for a few days (if you can last that long). The best part: it takes 15 minutes or less, start to finish! Can't beat that.

Enough stalling. Here's the recipe, straight from my mama's kitchen. While she didn't make up this recipe, I have no idea where it came from, and since I've eaten it from her kitchen my whole life, it's now "hers."

Mom's Chex Mix
8 cups (1 box) Quaker Oat Squares cereal 
1-1/2 cups thin pretzel sticks
1-1/2 cups peanuts
3/4 cups butter or margarine
1/2 cup grated parmesan cheese
1-1/2 teaspoons Italian seasoning

In 4-quart microwavable bowl, microwave butter/margarine on high 1 to 1-1/2 minutes or until melted; stir in cheese and seasoning. Add remaining ingredients, stirring until well coated. Microwave on high 6-7 minutes, stirring every 2 minutes. Spread on wax paper to cool. Store in tightly covered container or 1-gallon Ziploc bag.

We don't love peanuts at our house, so I usually just add extra pretzels and omit the peanuts. The combination of sweet and salty is perfection! My mouth is watering just thinking about this stuff. I made some this weekend for VBS...only half of it made it to church today. :) Enjoy every delectable bite!

No comments: