Wednesday, May 5, 2010

The Truth/Grace Project

I'm working on something that I've dubbed the "Grace-Truth Project." What is it? Glad you asked. 

John 1:14, John 1:17, and Colossians 1:6 all use the phrase "grace and truth," and it's an odd pairing, really. When we think of grace, we think of mercy, kindness, compassion, second, third, ninetieth chances. But when we think of truth, we often think of judgement, exposure, hard honesty. Of course, that's truth's dark side; it's other side is a place of depth, confidence, authenticity, and value. Now, I love truth. Love it. I'm always looking for it, trying to live it, and appreciating it when I find it. I'm extremely discerning and so it's usually easy for me to know right from wrong, truth from deception, to "read" people, to tune in to motives. So, truth is my natural bent. But grace--that's a different story. As much as I love receiving it, I'm not the best at giving it out. It's much easier for me to be critical and judgmental concerning my own failures and those of others than it is to offer grace. 
It seems that most people are heavy-footed toward grace or toward truth. Phil steps toward grace. He is one of the most non-judgmental people I know and he has a kind, non-accusing way of making his points. However, he hates confrontation and will often avoid it to keep the peace. I step toward truth. I don't shy away from necessary confrontation and I'm not afraid to speak up for what is right. However, often, I come across as harsh and judgmental, lacking grace. 

So, the "Grace-Truth Project" is a way to remind myself that I need both grace AND truth. Sometimes just naming something makes it more real. So, there really isn't a "project" in the sense that I have a plan and specific goals and a blueprint of how to get there, but I'm working toward a more grace-filled life and calling it the "Grace-Truth Project" makes it more of a reality for me. 

So, I'm wondering: for those of you whose natural step is toward grace, what are some ways that I can fill my life with more of that? 

And for those of you who spend time with me, feel free to remind me of this project when when I'm displaying a bit too much truth! 

No comments: