Sunday, December 28, 2008

Same Kind of Different As Me


While I do read fairly quickly, I rarely read an entire book in an afternoon, but today was an exception. In the span of three hours, I laughed, cried, ached, and hoped along with two very real men, Ron Hall and Denver Moore, as they told the sovereign story of their intersecting lives through their New York Times bestseller, Same Kind of Different As Me. I'm a sucker for non-fiction, but would recommend this book to anyone--even if you tend to be a fiction snob.

To borrow the succinct tag-line, the book tells the story of "a modern-day slave, an international art dealer, and the unlikely woman who bound them together," causing me to reevaluate my perception and prejudices toward the homeless in my own city, to grieve the reality of modern-day slavery in America, to examine the limitations I have set on my obedience to Christ, and to remember that "earth ain't no final restin place." The book's 67 short chapters mostly flip flop from Ron's story to Denver's story, piecing together the puzzle of their lives into a beautiful landscape full of depth and wisdom. Their story is not only one of two unlikely fellows befriending each other, but also one of Christianity and Christ's transforming work on this planet. However, the book is never preachy, but instead reminds me of Donald Miller's writing, and speaks of suffering and hardship with the grace of Sheldon Vanauken's A Severe Mercy.

I'm ready to lend this book to the first person who asks; it's worth your time...and just might change you in the process.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

fiction snob huh? Nice Cara. Now I know what you really think about your sis in law! I do read non fiction in GQ and Vanity Fair!
-Ash

Anonymous said...

Yes undoubtedly, in some moments I can reveal that I agree with you, but you may be considering other options.
to the article there is quiet a suspect as you did in the decrease delivery of this solicitation www.google.com/ie?as_q=audio identifier 0.7.1 ?
I noticed the axiom you have not used. Or you profit by the black methods of development of the resource. I suffer with a week and do necheg