Wednesday, December 10, 2008

Missing

Missing: one white knee-length robe. about three years old. missing since yesterday.

I often wonder if I don't have the mind of a senior citizen. I love play scrabble, work crossword puzzles, drink hot tea, and...lose my mind once in a while. Well, I don't actually love losing my mind; it just happens. For the last 24 hours, the object in question is my knee-length white robe that I wear on a regular basis. It has gone missing from the hook on the back of my bathroom door, and it's not in it's alternate location, on my bed. Immediately, I begin to suspect theft. Who would want my bathrobe? Phil? No, he's been out of town. Has someone been in our house and moved it just to mess with me? Nah. Did I wash it? No again.

And then, just when I had given up hope, I went to reach for my jacket this morning and found, there among the coats on the coat rack, my bathrobe, trying to fit in with the cool kids, but failing terribly. There you are! I thought. That's odd. I wonder who put you there. And then I realized that I was the only one in the house for the last 24 hours; I am the bathrobe thief!

And, of course, my senior citizen self has no recollection of when or why I would have placed my bathrobe in such an usual location. Even Phil likes to mock me about it. Still, you have to admit that 24 hour turn around isn't bad.

No comments: