Friday, May 30, 2008

Pop a cap in your roof


I thought I had learned nearly everything there was to know about Alabamians since living here for the last 8 years, but today I learned something new. Apparently, in Alabama, people like to shoot guns in the air just for the heck of it. I'm pretty sure there are some more constructive ways to celebrate or vent or kill time, but I suppose they don't see it that way. Today I discovered that my roof was the unfortunate recipient of one of those air-bound bullets.

Our roof has been leaking on and off for almost a year now. We've had the roofers out several times to no avail, but today they found the culprit: a bullet that looks almost identical to the top one in the picture above. According to the roofer, when a bullet hits a roof (as it does often?), it makes a bigger hole than the bullet itself (a lesson in physics) and causes a leak (aha!). I asked the guy if I could keep the bullet to show people, but he said he had to take it to his boss. I wonder if they have some sort of roof-bullet competition going on at the office...a glass case for all the bullets they find and a bonus for the largest bullet in a given month? I hope our roofer gets the bonus...or at least gives our bullet an advantageous position in the glass case.

So, if you live in Alabama, beware: someone might just pop a cap in your roof.

No comments: