Sunday, February 24, 2008

My Life in Six Words--Really?


A man once bet Ernest Hemingway $10.00 that he (Hemingway) couldn't write a short story in just six words. Hemingway found himself six words and $10.00 richer when he penned the words, "For sale: baby shoes. Never worn." This little bet started what has now become a popular contest among writing magazines and has even inspired a book called Not Quite What I Was Planning: Six-Word Memoirs by Writers Famous and Obscure.

Before you all begin thinking that I am some Hemingway scholar, I must admit that I recently read an article entitled, "A Life in Six Words? Fantastic" (http://www.telegraph.co.uk/arts/main.jhtml?xml=/arts/2008/02/06/boleith106.xml), which challenges people to write the story of their lives in just six words and serves as my information well.

As a poet, a six-word memoir--the memoir-haiku, if you will--intrigues and intimidates me. At the end of the article are some entertaining examples including:

"Wasn't born a redhead; fixed that."
"Can that really be the time?"
"Five novels; two kids; insufficient sex."

So, here are my attempts--and yes, there will be more than one...and yes, they are attempts:

"Lose all, Receive all, Give all."
"Humility in great doses is wisdom."
"Chattanooga girl. Birmingham woman. Divided loves."
"Seven siblings; twin brother. Never alone."

A memoir in six words? Let's just say I have a lot to learn from Ernest.

No comments: