Monday, February 18, 2008

Cleaning Therapy

Today I discovered that my hair sheds in more places than I realize, that my baseboards are dust magnets, that my sock drawer is out of control messy, and that I have a Christmas present still sitting in its box on my floor just waiting to have its own place in my home. These are the discoveries made on a day off of work, a day dedicated to deep cleaning, a day that comes around only so often. Tomorrow, the dust will again begin its descent onto my baseboards and my socks will probably find their way into inconspicuous places, but today, my house is clean and organized. And as silly as it sounds, when I'm organized on the outside, I feel organized on the inside, like all is right with the world. I'm pretty sure that's just the orderly, type A part of me speaking, but it's true (of course, the fact that I didn't have to go to work today also significantly contributed to that blissful feeling).

So, I am proud to report that my shedding hair is all vacuumed, the baseboards are white again, my socks actually have their own little section in my drawer, the lingering Christmas present has a home, the laundry is clean and folded, my wash-by-hand-only sweater is washed and still air drying, the floors are mopped, the bed is made, the sink is clean, and the mirrors are spot-free.

Some call it spring cleaning; I call it therapy for the neat-freaks of the world.

No comments: