Thursday, March 20, 2014

Three Things Thursday

Thing One: Noodle is 5 months old!
This girl has my heart, y'all. She's smiley, sensitive, content, and squealy.  She's rolling over and has started solids this week, pounding down food like it ain't no thang. Here she is with her lovey, Hops:



Thing Two: I'm just plain old!
Last night I went to a play at my alma mater, and for the first time really felt the time warp my mom always talked about: how you feel like you lived there yesterday and an eternity ago all at the same time.  Like I belonged and I really, really didn't.

Exhibit A:
I belonged: the play was in a building where I had lots of classes, so I knew my way around.
I really didn't belong: the play started at 9:00 p.m. (my current bedtime).

But it was pretty great to be out past my bedtime, to throw caution (and sleep) to the wind and do something for myself with friends without kids. I drove home at 11:00 p.m. and actually thought about going to do something else...because I could. Two hours on a college campus and I was already thinking I could just go do something at 11:00 p.m. Ha. But I didn't. I drove home and went to bed because my little alarm clocks like to rise and shine before the sun. Totally worth it, though.

Thing Three: This recipe is new! And yummy!
Rachel Ray's Chicken-and-Spinach Tortilla Bake. This is my new add-it-to-the-regular-rotation recipe. It's easy. It's quick. It's healthy (mostly). It's delicious. And it's easy to double and freeze half for a busy night in the future. Win-win-win-win-win. I've had the recipe for years, but I came across it the other week and realized I'd never made it; we've eaten it twice since. My tweaks:

  • I used shredded cheddar or monterey jack cheese because I didn't have pepper jack 
  • I used an 8X8 pan, so I could only fit two layers of ingredients instead of three
  • To make the recipe even simpler, I either boiled chicken breasts or used rotisserie chicken 
  • For kid-friendly veggies, I chopped the spinach instead of leaving the leaves whole
Thing bonus: Stomach bug update
Despite our best efforts, the stomach bug did find Phil and me. So glad that week of my life is over. Whew.

No comments: