Wednesday, February 12, 2014

What happens when you stay inside for lots and lots of days (besides going a little crazy)

My son is proving that buying our house was a phenomenal investment. Since the weather's been so cold and either he or Noodle is napping most of the day, we've spent a LOT of time inside this winter. The result? Mess and creativity.

Right now I'm typing on the couch--the one area of my living room not taken over by things like a sheet tent, a broom propping up a firetruck, and cars, cars, cars. No crevice has gone unexplored in this place. Drawers have been opened, furniture moved, cabinets emptied, closets ransacked, and beds unmade so the egg crate underneath can be a "bumpy road" for cars, cars, cars.

And as much as I hate having been quarantined to my home for so many days and weeks, here's what I love: creativity is squeezed to the surface. We're doing things we never would have done if we'd gone places. We're making our own windmills with paper and a pencil eraser. We're baking more. We're playing with every. single. toy. We're looking for new ways to use old things. We're pretending more. And it's really, really good.

That being said, I'm just a smidge excited that the forecast says we'll be in the mid-sixties this time next week. Hallelujah!


No comments: