Wednesday, July 11, 2012

Three Things (almost) Thursday

One. Good news: I've been writing, drafting an essay on how I've lived my life in fear. It's definitely a first draft, but I'm feeling good about it and it's promising. Bad news: I have writer's block. I've written maybe a third of it and now I don't know where to go with it. My guess is that I have some more thinking and remembering to do. Going back in time takes more work than it sounds, so I'm just going to set it aside for a few more days and try to do the hard work of thinking.

Two. I LOVE the Olympics. When Beijing hosted four years ago, we got Chinese takeout with my brother and his wife and ate it on the floor. When the Olympics were in Vancouver a couple of years ago, we had friends over  for a potluck dinner with the requirement that their food be Canadian and their garb be red and white. And in just 16 days, London will be bringing me more quality television than I watch all year. I'll get to celebrate with fish and chips and Coke without ice and I'll make everyone speak in a British accent. It'll be jolly good, chap!

Three. Whatever you do, don't watch Someone Like You. Queen of B movies. Save yourself two hours and avoid plot gaps, flat acting, and deeper points that are a bit too obvious. That, or (like me), watch it with friends so you can make fun of it the whole time. While Ashley Judd and Hugh Jackman did a nice job, I'm hoping they were paid well for this movie because, frankly, it was beneath them.

1 comment:

Christen Sloderbeck said...

Love it! Great commentary on a disaster of a movie. Enjoyed our laughing/making fun though as well. Yay for the Olympics, too!