Monday, October 24, 2011

Where I've been

Grading? Yes, lots.

Nesting? I guess, a little. 

But mostly, I've been hiding behind these lovelies:

Need to see a close up? Thought so. Here ya go: 


For the record, I did not pull these pictures off the internet; those are actually my cankles, my swollen legs, my nonexistent knees. Thank you, Baby Boy Johnson.

I went to the doctor today and her exact words were, "I mean, they're not the worst I've seen, but they're in the top ten. (Pause to look again) Maybe the top eight." Nice. And then this:

Me: "I mean, they don't even look like my feet!"
Doctor: "They don't even really look like feet!" 

You don't even want to know how much weight that much water retention translates into. I'm hoping it will translate into losing a lot of weight quickly when all this is over. I mean, I might be the first woman to get stretch marks on her feet. There's no explanation for this kind of water retention; I'm just one of the lucky few. :) 

While all this edema isn't bad for the baby, it is elevating my blood pressure and, obviously, giving me quite a bit of discomfort. I'm having to go in to the doctor a couple of times a week to monitor it. In fact, my doctor recommended several days of bed rest this week, but I don't think I'm going to take her up on it because I'm really feeling fine and I don't want to burn my sick days now just sitting around. She said the baby is healthy and measuring perfectly, so it was up to me. Honestly, it's just easier to be at work than to make sub plans, so I'm sticking it out for now. I might take off a week earlier than planned, but for now, Baby Boy is healthy, in good position, and ready to enter the world whenever he decides! 

Until then, I'm wearing pants exclusively to protect innocent eyes everywhere. See how cute and normal I look when my legs are covered?
You can imagine how many pairs of shoes fit me these days: exactly two. One is a pair of flip flops and the other is a pair of black clogs that are really too tight but I make them work. So, with the cold front and several more weeks of work ahead, I was lucky to find these at Ross this weekend: 
Super cute. Ugg brand (who knew they made clogs?). Most importantly, they fit AND they're comfortable. I'll be living in them, thank you very much.

So, THAT'S out there. Let's just say I'm learning about sacrificing for my child already. :) 

5 comments:

Eating Cheetos said...

Oh Cara...how I feel your pain. When I was pregnant, I had some serious water retention. Luckily, yours has only settled in one easily hide-able spot. I was swollen everywhere. Particularly my face. So while you are the cutest preggo mama EVER, I looked like the female version of Tommy Boy.

By the way, can I just say I'm dying for the "He's here!" post?!?

Melissa said...

Oh Cara. I can't stop thinking about your feet. I'm so glad you got some comfy shoes...and that you took these pictures! Your knees crack me up, too ;)

You look so beautiful, and you're so close. I'm thankful I've gotten to see you so much over the past few days.

Don't be afraid to sit on your toosh all day at school and make those little middle schoolers run around for you. Put 'em to work.

Kate Courtney said...

Oh my! For your doctor it might be the top 8, but for me you are at number 1! It will be well worth it! Can't wait for it.

ms mommy said...

Lol! I've been there and I feel your pain, sweet Cara. Hang in there; you're a beautiful pregnant mam (cankles and all) and your body is doing some important work! Love to you and baby boy!

Sku:p McFingers said...

I love you Cankles!