Saturday, April 30, 2011

My gardening debut

Perk #1 to planting a vegetable garden
(Hopefully) I'll have lots of yummy, fresh food to eat this summer!

Perk # 2 to planting a vegetable garden: 
I got to be outside with my husband all afternoon on a beautiful day!

Perk # 3 to planting a vegetable garden: 
One more thing to cross off my 30 before 30 list!

We started with these...

Best Basic-to-advanced gardening book! Favorite part: LOTS of pictures on every page!
The goods.


Phil's addition during our Lowe's run. Yum!





















Here's a before shot of our garden area:

Then we added a stone border, tilled some soil, and put topsoil on top of that: 

And finally, voila! 
Notice the small shrine Phil built around his blackberry bush in the back of the picture. And yes, I realize the bed is slightly crooked. I'm blaming the bend in the grass.

It took a little over three hours from start to finish, not including time at Lowe's, and we planted:

cherry tomatoes
slicing tomatoes
cucumbers
bush beans (the only seeds we planted--hence, what looks like a blank area)
green & red bell peppers

We'll see how well they do. Worst case scenario: the veggies fail and I end up with a nice flower bed on the side of my house. Best case scenario: the veggies thrive and I get to eat them and share with friends! It's a win-win.

1 comment:

Molly Page said...

I am soooo impressed! What a fantastic bed. Can't wait to read how it goes!