Thursday, July 1, 2010

My first days back in Birmingham: the bad, the good, and the funny


Not one, not two, but THREE truckers honked at me on our drive here from Chattanooga. 
The bad news: Truckers between here and Chattanooga just aren't as classy as you'd hope they'd be. 
The good news: I've still got it.



Three hours at the DMV.
The bad news: On top of seeing TWO of my former students (and having to remember their names, which I did after only a short delay), the printer was messing up and made my paper license look like a shiny cartoon. I was told that my official license wouldn't make me look orange. We'll see.
The good news: For the first time in Alabama DMV history, every employee whom I spoke with was kind and pleasant.

Our cell phones don't get enough reception at our house.
The bad news: We had to cancel our 7-year long loyalty to T-Mobile and our oh-so-cheap plan.
The good news: We have switched to Verizon, will not drop any more calls, have matching phones (his is black, mine is red--be on the lookout for a blog photo story to come), AND I am in love with my ring tone. It makes me dance. Makes me.


In an effort to "simplify, simplify, simplify," I'm parting with around 70 books.
The bad news: Parting with books is such (sweet) sorrow.
The good news: I'm hoping to sell about 25 of them on half.com. The rest will be part of our donation tax write-off.

Three days into being here, I absolutely MUST have Taziki's Friday Special.
The bad news: There's a good possibility that I will crave this every single weekend. Not good for the pocketbook or for variety.
The good news: I live 10 minutes from a Taziki's and, better yet, I can make the Friday Special at home (although it's never quite the same)




5 comments:

Melissa said...

oh my! i laughed so hard at this.

1) remind me to tell you a story about my friend mary's drive from bham to nashville. it was worse. way worse.

2) before you part with 45 books...let this book lover peruse :) i'll pay you!

3) i blogged about you today!

Molly Page said...

Heck Ya you still got it (she said in a way that doesn't sound like a come on...).
I've never heard of half.com. Is this site going to get me into trouble?

asborneman said...

Sorry, but as happy as I am for Conrad to be united with his long awaited two hardback volumes of Calvin's Institutes (and the Battles addition at that!), I somehow feel personally offended that you would part with them so hastily. I think I may have a problem...

asborneman said...

Btw, Re: DMV, I TOLD you to go downtown. No one ever listens to the borno....

Christen Sloderbeck said...

Love it, Cara!! thanks for the laughs. The Friday Special is worth the splurge...mmm! :)