Friday, June 4, 2010

Doo-Doot, Doot, Doot, Doo...I'm lovin' it!

Last weekend, as I was on my way back from a less-than-24-hour trip to Birmingham, I decided to stop at my favorite gas station/Subway joint to fill up my car and my stomach. It was 1:30 and all I'd eaten all day was a handful of strawberries and a granola bar, so it's fair to say that I was ravenous. I walked up to the Subway door only to find that it was closed for Memorial Day (good for them, bad for me), so my brain started racing: Can I make a meal out of gas station food? Eew. No. Do I get back on the interstate and wait for the next Subway or Chick-Fil-A (my favs)? No. I might die of starvation by then. And so, I was left with option #3: the McDonald's that was in walking distance from the gas station. YES.

I'm a little anti-fast food if I can help it, so I honestly haven't been to a McDonald's for anything other than a McFlurry (love those things) since...gosh, I don't know. Maybe college? Anyway, I was actually getting pretty excited about a cheeseburger and as I was standing in line, I realized that I could buy my entire lunch for under $4.00. This is why people come here. For a mere $3.00 + tax, I got a cheeseburger, apple dippers (my attempt at being healthy...along with the fact that I don't eat french fries without ketchup and I couldn't do the whole ketchup-while-driving thing), a mocha frappe, and a cup of water. And let me just tell you: they were all delicious. Even the apple dippers, which was the part of my lunch I was least looking forward to. (Don't we all have those parts of meals that we just have to "get through" in order to get to the really good stuff?) I thought it was funny (but brilliant) that the apples didn't have the peel on them, and they were the perfect balance of not too crunchy-sour or too mushy-nasty. I highly recommend them. And the caramel dipping sauce didn't hurt either. The mocha frappe was yummy too, but definitely more like a dessert than a drink.

All this to say, I'm warming up to McDonald's again. The truth is, it'll probably be a few more years until I eat there again--mostly because I like to cook too much--but when I do, I'll look forward to it. So, thank you, Yellow Arches, for some low-cost yummy food in a time of need!

3 comments:

Camille Platt said...

wow, i'm surprised! i usually only frequent zaxby's, chic-fil-a or subway. i'm a fast-food-a-phobe too.

Melissa said...

good for you, branching out. it's been years since i've been in "old mcdonald's" as vale calls it, but it's high time that child had some real chicken mcnuggets. she's only ever had chick-fil-a.

maybe you can go with us for her inaugural visit.

Molly Page said...

Gotta admit, I thought that post was headed in a different direction... ;)
Kudos to you, there is NO way I could eat McDonald's (which I do maybe once a year) without stuffing my belly full of french fries.