Tuesday, June 30, 2009

A series of letting go


The other week, I had the privilege of spending the morning with my 88-year-old grandmother, and I was reminded once again of her wisdom and grace in living and in growing older. Because she no longer drives, we had a delightful outing to Walmart and then to lunch at one of my favorite little restaurants in Chattanooga, the Purple Daisy Picnic Cafe. Throughout the morning, she was so good about knowing her physical limitations and asking for help when needed. She'd say, "I need to hold your hand for a bit," or "I usually get a motorized wheelchair when I'm here." (And might I add that she was a pro at the electric wheelchair!) I hope that I can not only recognize my physical limitations when I'm older, but also be humble enough to take steps to preserve my safety and energy.

My grandmother is also slowly losing her memory, and whenever she can't remember a detail, she has the wisdom and light-heartedness to laugh at herself and admit, "Oh, I just can't remember that anymore!" I'm afraid my response might be frustration or anger at my memory leaving me, but she has a habit of accepting what God gives her with peace and immediacy.

Lately, I have been most impressed and humbled by the grace with which she is aging, and I have told her so on many occasions. Her latest response was powerful: "You know, it (aging) hasn't happened all at once. I've had to let go a little bit at a time, so it's not so bad. It's just a series of letting go, and I think God has done that to remind me that I will need Him all my life." I love (and hate) that idea of "a series of letting go" because the truth is that all of life should be lived that way. God often calls us to let go of expectations, dreams, material possessions, and self, and I pray that more and more I will, like my grandmother, accept such calls with grace, faithfulness, and a good sense of humor.

No comments: