Saturday, February 7, 2009

Lessons from Colgate


Some writers find their inspiration in coffee shops or nature, but this morning, I found it in the simple act of brushing my teeth. Kudos to Colgate...or to my brain that can't seem to rest. As I scrubbed away at my teeth, I began to wonder: when was the toothbrush invented? What did people do to clean their teeth before then? Did they clean their teeth before then? If people back in Bible times lived hundreds of years but didn't have proper dental hygiene, were they all suffering with rotten teeth by age 20?

In the cafeteria of my mind, the tray moved to another astounding thought: God created the world and everything in it, but didn't necessarily explain it all to Adam and Eve. As far as I know, God didn't sit down with the two of them and explain the biology of each animal or the play-by-play of mating. Instead, he gave creation (including their very lives) to Adam and Eve and allowed them to discover its intricacies.

If I had a teenage child and gave him a cell phone and then proceeded to explain every function and whistle, I would rob my child of the joy of discovery. Instead, the teenager would much prefer a little preliminary guidance and then be left to discover its features. As a parent, it would be a joy to see my child enjoy and learn about a gift I had given. Similarly, God delights in watching us learn freshly about His creation and His character. Whether it's inventing the toothbrush or teaching a drama class, we are in a constant process of discovery--a gift given to us to be a joy and not a frustration.

No comments: