Tuesday, January 27, 2009

Let's Get Organized!


I've always thought that if I wanted to pursue a career other than teaching, I'd go into professional organizing. Seriously. I find a ridiculous amount of satisfaction in creating order out of chaos, making functional space, and finding ways to help people stay organized even after I've finished the initial "clean sweep." My mom loves this quality in me because I compulsively clean some part of her house every time I go home. I thrive on the immediate results and the joy it brings her to have space she can use more effectively. I really should take before and after pictures. I've organized closets, pantries, offices, storage spaces, and even barns for family, friends, myself, and work.

Not to over-spiritualize this trait, but in many ways, this desire to bring order out of chaos reflects our Father's desire to do the same. Our world is overrun with the weeds and vines of sin, selfishness, and waywardness, and in His redemptive way, he "strikes a straight blow with a crooked stick (thanks to my favorite pastor, Joe Novenson, for that one). God is in the business of re-ordering the universe, of clearing the clutter of our lives, and giving us ways to live that lead to freedom. The satisfaction I find in organizing (other than the fact that I'm just a bit of a neat freak) is one way that I bear God's image, reflecting His character. As Bob Flayhart says, "Joy is found when your God-given talents meet a need."

So, if you need some organizational tips, encouragement, or outright help, I'm at your service. And I'm always looking for new and inventive ways to organize, so send me your ideas and what has worked for you; if you're not one of those organized people, not to worry: you're probably more normal than the rest of us.

2 comments:

~Emily~ said...

Cara, PLEASE come to my house!! :) I desperately need help organizing all my "stuff"!!! LOL How can I bribe you, money? food? entertainment?

katie said...

uh, do you fly across the country?? i would love this kind of help especially when moving in!!