Monday, November 10, 2008

Thoughts.


My brain is a revolving rolodex, a to do list that updates itself constantly--a quality that has proven to be both beneficial and highly frustrating. At any given moment, I am a good 8 steps ahead of myself. Instead of thinking "Let's watch a movie," I'm thinking, "If we start a movie now, it will be over at ______ o'clock, which means that it's probably later than we want to go to bed. So, do we start a movie now and not finish it or do we wait until another time to watch it? And if we are watching a movie tonight, then I need to make something for dinner that's quick so we can go ahead and get started. And we can't have the quiche in the freezer for dinner because it will take too long to defrost and that's to take to someone next week, so I'll have to use something else..." The thoughts go on, but I'll stop there. It sounds ridiculous to type, but I think that it might just be the way females are wired, that whole multi-tasking business.

This self-updating to-do list of a brain does tend to help me use my time well and to be intentional with it, but I have a hard time resting my mind--something I envy in the type B's of the world. The brain that allows me to be extremely efficient and to see a panoramic picture of things is the same one that causes me to sometimes miss the things that matter most, to overlook needs in the lives of those around me, and to err on being too practical at times.

And now, if I don't wrap up this rambling post, I won't sleep long enough, which won't be good since I need to wake up and run errands, make bread, and go to the grocery store...which all needs to happen in the morning so that I can pick up Phil's pants from the alteration place after lunch..............

And while I am lost in tomorrow's thoughts, there are those tonight who are wishing they had hopes for tomorrow at all. What a humbling, worthwhile thought.

No comments: