Monday, September 15, 2008

Friends shouldn't talk friends into running


I really thought I was immune to peer pressure, but apparently, I'm easily persuaded by those I love to do even the most illogical of tasks. Actually, it's not peer pressure; it's the innate competitive nature that comes from growing up with so many brothers; I just can't say no to a challenge.

Take my best friend, Alisa, for example. In college, she thought that running a 15K sounded like fun and naturally thought that I would like to join her in an hour and a half of grueling pavement pounding. While I did actually enjoy the race and have a "runner's high," (particularly when a guy in his yard was blaring the Rocky theme song and spraying us with water from his sprinkler) I can't say that I ever wanted to do it again.

Well, here we are six years later, and I can honestly say that I probably haven't run more than 2 or maybe 3 miles at a time in those years. A few weeks ago, Alisa approached me again--this time about a 10K race in November. My fortitude had waned some in six years, and my initial response was, "You've got to be kidding me. I'm not a runner. Why do you keep asking me to train for races with you?" However, after several weeks of trying to justify NOT running, I finally gave in to the challenge. So, yes, I'll be running in the Vulcan 10K in November, and since I haven't run in so long, I'm actually enjoying the training since it's different from my normal routine. It's something new and something to share with friends, and that makes life a bit more interesting and full somehow.

So, look for me in the Vulcan 10K; I'll be the one in the back running the 12 minute mile and singing the Rocky theme song to myself for inspiration.

No comments: