Monday, September 1, 2008

Fried Green Tomatoes

I ordered an appetizer of fried green tomatoes at a restaurant the other day that were absolutely divine. "I bet I could make those," I thought. So, on Saturday, I picked up some green tomatoes at the local farmer's market and yesterday I found a Southern Living recipe to follow and got to work. Let's just say that my homemade version rivaled the restaurant's. Just typing about them makes my mouth water. So, for all you kitchen experimenters out there, here's the recipe I used (and I don't recommend skimping on anything or trying to make a more "healthy" version):

1 large egg, lightly beaten
1/2 cup buttermilk
1/2 cup all-purpose flour, divided
1/2 cup cornmeal
1 tsp. salt
1/2 tsp. pepper
3 medium-sized firm green tomatoes, cut into 1/3-inch slices
vegetable oil
salt to taste

Combine egg & buttermilk in a shallow bowl and set aside.

Combine 1/4 cup flour, cornmeal, 1 tsp. salt, and pepper in a shallow bowl or pan.

Dredge tomatoes in remaining 1/4 cup flour, dip in egg mixture, and dredge in cornmeal mixture.

Pour oil to a depth of 1/4 inch in a large skillet; heat to 375 degrees (med-hi heat). Drop tomatoes, in batches, into the hot oil; cook 2 minutes on each side or until golden. Drain on paper towels or rack. Sprinkle hot tomatoes with salt.

Sprinkle shredded mozzarella cheese on top of each one and serve with marinara sauce.

No comments: